Hands-down, this is the most ambitious project that Susan and I have ever taken on! It’s the first project that we decided to tackle in our new house. We moved here in October 2017 after realizing that we were more about the ‘Urban Life’ and less about the ‘Lake Life.’ Our lake house sold very quickly, and we were back in the city before we knew it! The real estate market is red hot here in Charlotte, so it took us some time to find this house. But once we did, we wasted no time diving right into projects. 🙂 This house was built in 1952, and has been partially updated, but there are PLENTY of projects and renovations left for us to leave our mark. Continue reading
Susan and I have this dream of buying a fixer-upper and rehabbing it one day. I think this master bedroom remodel project was a good way to get our feet wet before for a much larger, whole-house project. Before the remodel, our bedroom was tiered. As you can see in the pictures below, we had the main tier where the bed was, and then a lower tier where we had my dresser and a dog bed (i.e., Restoration Hardware bean bag -yes, our dogs are spoiled). It was awkward. Walking up and down 4 steps just to access my dresser. Not to mention the wasted space!
So, when we decided to replace the carpet with laminate flooring, we figured it would be the perfect time to raise that lower tier and make the entire room feel more like one room. Continue reading
When we moved into the new house, our mudroom consisted of 4 walls, a tile floor and a ceiling. That’s about it. Since we had about 734 projects that took priority over finishing this space, we quickly hacked together an old Ikea bookcase and turned it into a wardrobe-of-sorts. It served it’s purpose – had a place to hang coats, had shelves for baskets… but it was clearly a “hack” and we were ready for something a little more legit. I don’t have any ‘before’ pictures because when I gave Susan the green light for this project she started demolition quicker than I’ve ever seen her!
We made large wardrobe boxes out of plywood that we salvaged from our kitchen pantry remodel. Added some rods, a few baskets and some stools. NOW we have a legitimate mudroom! 🙂