Hands-down, this is the most ambitious project that Susan and I have ever taken on! It’s the first project that we decided to tackle in our new house. We moved here in October 2017 after realizing that we were more about the ‘Urban Life’ and less about the ‘Lake Life.’ Our lake house sold very quickly, and we were back in the city before we knew it! The real estate market is red hot here in Charlotte, so it took us some time to find this house. But once we did, we wasted no time diving right into projects. 🙂 This house was built in 1952, and has been partially updated, but there are PLENTY of projects and renovations left for us to leave our mark. Continue reading →
Susan and I have this dream of buying a fixer-upper and rehabbing it one day. I think this master bedroom remodel project was a good way to get our feet wet before for a much larger, whole-house project. Before the remodel, our bedroom was tiered. As you can see in the pictures below, we had the main tier where the bed was, and then a lower tier where we had my dresser and a dog bed (i.e., Restoration Hardware bean bag -yes, our dogs are spoiled). It was awkward. Walking up and down 4 steps just to access my dresser. Not to mention the wasted space!
So, when we decided to replace the carpet with laminate flooring, we figured it would be the perfect time to raise that lower tier and make the entire room feel more like one room. Continue reading →
Winter storm Jonas hit, and left us house-bound for the better part of 2 days. These stars were the result. They’re built just like our Wood Stars, but with a different (read: way better!) finish. IMHO.
There are many techniques for creating a faux distressed look with paint. Usually, if I want to achieve the distressed look, I’ll use a dry brushing technique. But that technique can result in a streaky, mottled appearance, so I’ve been wanting to experiment with something different. I read about the Vaseline distressing technique and thought it sounded promising, so we tried that on these stars.
The Vaseline technique is simple…
Apply a base coat of paint or stain, and allow to fully dry. We used Weathered Teak stain by Sherwin Williams.
Dab on small amounts of Vaseline where you want the “distressing” to appear (football fans: this is different than “Dab on ’em”) 😉
Don’t glob on the Vaseline, just put on a very light coat
The areas that have Vaseline applied will show through once your 2nd coat is applied, so consider what areas should look distressed based on “normal wear”
Typically, these areas are the corners and edges
Apply a 2nd coat using paint in a contrasting color (this coat must be paint), and allow to fully dry. We used Muslin by Sherwin Williams.
Using 120 grit sandpaper, lightly sand all areas. The areas that had Vaseline applied will very easily sand off to reveal the base coat underneath.
Pretty easy, right??
I’m definitely a big fan of this distressing technique. It’s easy and it results in a very natural-looking distressed finish. We couldn’t be happier with our constellation of stars!
Our friends Chris & Shara are having a baby! We offered to help with the favors for their shower. They had a pretty large shower – around 40 guests! So we knew the favors had to be awesome, but also economical. After some internet surfing, we came up with this idea, which is a mashup of several other ideas we found. Continue reading →
Whoa! Dry erase boards are PRICEY!! Especially large dry erase boards. Which is what we needed for our garage gym. Because, let’s be real, any self-respecting Crossfit gym needs a big ol’ dry erase board to track stats on benchmark WODs. 😉 I figured it was time our garage gym was outfitted with one of these boards, so I started doing some research. I was completely floored by the prices! Let me put it this way… to purchase the size board I ended up making would have cost $239 at one of the big box office stores. Yes, $239!!! And that’s not for some fancy schmancy “Smart” board. No, that’s just for an erasable board that nails to the wall. Continue reading →