We’ve had insane amounts of rain here in Charlotte, NC during the last couple months. It’s been unseasonably warm for Nov/Dec (70’s!), but too rainy to take advantage of the nice temperatures. But rainy days make for excellent project days! And what could be more appropriate this time of year than boot trays! Continue reading
Our friends Chris & Shara are having a baby! We offered to help with the favors for their shower. They had a pretty large shower – around 40 guests! So we knew the favors had to be awesome, but also economical. After some internet surfing, we came up with this idea, which is a mashup of several other ideas we found. Continue reading
I’m so amazed by smart people. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I like to consider myself fairy bright. But sometimes I’m truly overwhelmed by what other people can do. Take these stars, for instance. It would have taken me somewhere in the ballpark of 3 months to figure out the math and the angles to make these stars “work.” Not to mention countless piles of wasted wood as I muddled through one failed attempt after another. Luckily, as I was saying, there are really smart people in the world. And I wasn’t the first person who saw these wood stars at Pottery Barn and thought, “Wow! Those are hot!” (…and then leaned in to look at the price tag and had a mini heart attack).
So, huge shout-out and thanks to Rogue Engineer for the cut angles! This is an amazingly fun project (and gave me an excuse to finally buy a brad nailer). 🙂
If you’d like to try this yourself, check out the angles and dimensions here. A few things I learned during this project that might help you…
- If you make all your cuts, and attempt to assemble your star but find that it’s just not quite lining up properly… don’t panic! The brad nailer does amazing things. A few of the stars I made, I swore they weren’t going to come out correctly because they weren’t lining up perfectly. But, since I spent so much time making the cuts, I decided to nail them together anyway. And, each and every time, the nail gun pulled them together perfectly and I had great-looking stars!
- Depending on the type of miter saw you have, you might not need a jig for the 54 degree angle cuts. I have a 12″ Dewalt compound miter saw, and I’m able to set the angle at 54 degrees to make the cuts. I suppose smaller miter saws don’t have angles this large, and you’ll have to make the jig.
- I used both 1×2’s & 1×3’s for my stars, and they both came out great! The 1×2’s are better for hanging on the wall, and the 1×3’s are better as sit-abouts (IMHO).
- Lastly, don’t spend a lot of time filling gaps with wood putty and sanding everything perfectly. Some of my favorite stars are the ones I “rushed” through because they turn out looking more distressed and “real” looking.
Our very good friends Chris & Shara are expecting a baby in November. When they mentioned that they were paying someone to redo a dresser for them, we said, “Excuse me?? Why would you pay a stranger to do that when we would LOVE to do the project for you!” They did decide to entrust us with the dresser, and here’s the result!
We absolutely love tables made from slabs – especially when the live edge is left intact. Something about the modern + natural combination is so beautiful. All the clean, sharp lines intrinsic in modern design coupled with the rawness and beauty of wood slabs is just stunning.
Any good mudroom needs a command center, right?? That’s what we thought, too. Ours is a combination of things from Container Store and Ikea. Check out the captions in the picture below to see where everything was purchased. All in all, this command center cost about $90. Many of the Container Store items were on sale – definitely helped to keep the cost down on this project!
The metal planters (used as pen/pencil holders here) were hung on the wall using pipe clamps and picture hangers. Just clip the picture hanger around the pipe clamp, and nail to the wall. Super simple!
When we moved into the new house, our mudroom consisted of 4 walls, a tile floor and a ceiling. That’s about it. Since we had about 734 projects that took priority over finishing this space, we quickly hacked together an old Ikea bookcase and turned it into a wardrobe-of-sorts. It served it’s purpose – had a place to hang coats, had shelves for baskets… but it was clearly a “hack” and we were ready for something a little more legit. I don’t have any ‘before’ pictures because when I gave Susan the green light for this project she started demolition quicker than I’ve ever seen her!
We made large wardrobe boxes out of plywood that we salvaged from our kitchen pantry remodel. Added some rods, a few baskets and some stools. NOW we have a legitimate mudroom! 🙂