This was a really fun and challenging project that ended up taking WAY too long due to the fact that we decided to start demolition on the master bathroom before we finished this project. (we’ll never learn!) But, we did eventually finish this one (after the bathroom was completely finished). 🙂
When we moved into the Coddington house (Home 1.0), the yard was already fenced, but the driveway was open. Which was kinda a problem with the dogs, as you can imagine. So we decided to build a driveway gate to complete the fenced yard, and figured while we were at it, we might as well make the gate motorized. Continue reading →
We had some leftover “beams” from our DIY Restoration Hardware Bardenas table, and figured we’d put them to good use by making a matching sofa for the patio. DIY furniture is the best, because you can customize everything. For instance, we knew we wanted a sofa on our back patio, but we didn’t have much space. And most of the outdoor sofas for sale are either very small (more like loveseats) or very large (more like sectionals). We were able to build this sofa to the exact dimensions we needed.
A lot of our project inspiration comes from Restoration Hardware. Let’s face it, RH’s furniture is jaw-dropping gorgeous, but a wee little bit pricey. Ok… it’s way pricey. Take this outdoor dining table, for instance. Pretty, right? Yep, we thought so, too. But at $4,075 (for just the table!) it was a bit out of our budget. So, being the DIY’ers that we are, we decided to make our own version of the Restoration Hardware Bardenas table.
I’m so amazed by smart people. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I like to consider myself fairy bright. But sometimes I’m truly overwhelmed by what other people can do. Take these stars, for instance. It would have taken me somewhere in the ballpark of 3 months to figure out the math and the angles to make these stars “work.” Not to mention countless piles of wasted wood as I muddled through one failed attempt after another. Luckily, as I was saying, there are really smart people in the world. And I wasn’t the first person who saw these wood stars at Pottery Barn and thought, “Wow! Those are hot!” (…and then leaned in to look at the price tag and had a mini heart attack).
So, huge shout-out and thanks to Rogue Engineer for the cut angles! This is an amazingly fun project (and gave me an excuse to finally buy a brad nailer). 🙂
If you’d like to try this yourself, check out the angles and dimensions here. A few things I learned during this project that might help you…
If you make all your cuts, and attempt to assemble your star but find that it’s just not quite lining up properly… don’t panic! The brad nailer does amazing things. A few of the stars I made, I swore they weren’t going to come out correctly because they weren’t lining up perfectly. But, since I spent so much time making the cuts, I decided to nail them together anyway. And, each and every time, the nail gun pulled them together perfectly and I had great-looking stars!
Depending on the type of miter saw you have, you might not need a jig for the 54 degree angle cuts. I have a 12″ Dewalt compound miter saw, and I’m able to set the angle at 54 degrees to make the cuts. I suppose smaller miter saws don’t have angles this large, and you’ll have to make the jig.
I used both 1×2’s & 1×3’s for my stars, and they both came out great! The 1×2’s are better for hanging on the wall, and the 1×3’s are better as sit-abouts (IMHO).
Lastly, don’t spend a lot of time filling gaps with wood putty and sanding everything perfectly. Some of my favorite stars are the ones I “rushed” through because they turn out looking more distressed and “real” looking.